Saturday 31 December 2011

Bald is Beautiful

The day finally came.


The day I had been anticipating since the day she was diagnosed.


They told me that I should expect it within 3 weeks. We were now at 5 months and it still hadn't happened.


But last month they told me that the Chemo she was getting this month would definitely make it happen.


My little girl was going to lose all her hair.


This was something that was really emotional for me. It made it so much more real. Up until this point we could go on our daily life without anyone really knowing she was sick. Because she looked like a healthy little three year old girl. Although, when at the hospital she stuck out like a sore thumb, being the only kid with hair. But it was something that was out of any ones control so I accepted it and planned to embrace it as positively as I could.


I went away for a couple days to visit some old friends in Portland, OR. I left on Boxing day and Jaidyn had been doing really well. She would have her bursts of energy accompanied with a brief "mommy I need to lay down" every once in a while. She'd take a quick 30 second recharge and she'd be back at whatever activity she was previously doing.


Christmas was really great this year, Jaidyn was so much fun and felt somewhat okay almost the entire time. I couldn't have asked for anything more. Except maybe that Dyson vacuum of course. 


Andrew was down for the week so it gave me the chance to take off for a few days.


The time away was great and much needed, but I missed her so much. Coincidentally as soon as I left, Jaidyn's energy became almost non existent. She spent almost the entire three days I was gone on the couch very lethargic and uncomfortable. I decided to come home early and make sure I was home for her appointment on Thursday as I figured she would need a blood transfusion.


At Thursday's appointment, her blood counts were actually quite good other than her Neutrophil's. Unfortunately those are the important ones, being the most common type of white blood cell and the cells responsible for responding to infection and attacking bacteria. Her counts being very low means her immune system is very week and any infection could be detrimental. This is why we have to pay very close attention to any fevers she may get, and could potentially be admitted to the hospital for infection over the next month.


Later that afternoon, Andrew called me and said "I think its time you bring over the hair clippers." My eyes welled up with tears and I knew it was time. Over the last three days her hair had started falling out in clumps and the back of her head was almost bald. It broke my heart.


So I sat down and talked with her about her hair and that it was okay that it was falling out all over the place. We decided to brush it as much as possible and get most of the lose hairs taken care of. It was so overwhelming for me, but I couldn't let her see me upset. So with her direction, we got out the hair clippers, the mirror, the camera and we gave her the hair cut we had been talking about for a long time.


I started it, but had uncle Tay Tay finish it. She sat there and didn't say a word, read a book as if it was no big deal. 





Once we were done she looked at herself in the mirror and the most beautiful thing happened.

She smiled.


That beautiful smile, that melts my heart.


It was then that we all looked at her and smiled. Although I had tears in my eyes, they were happy tears. I may be biased, but I think she looks pretty damn cute. 




My daughter inspires me. With everything she has gone through since August she still has that beautiful smile on her face and makes me realize everything is going to be just fine.


Thank you Jaidyn Lyric for teaching me everyday how to be strong. Stronger than I ever thought I could be.

I'll remember this day forever. 

5 comments:

  1. Whew, lots of tears over here! But mostly happy ones because she is doing so well. In spite of everything she has been through, she can still smile and mean it. I love that about little kids. They're amazing that way. And you have to know that part of the reason she can embrace some of this stuff is because she has a mama who stays so strong and gives her more love and support than she probably knows what to do with!

    I'm so proud of you Jaime. I know this is harder than anything most of us can imagine, but you have survived the worst of it and it will only get better from here.

    Love Jaidyn's new 'do. I think she looks awesome! You know, not all of us can pull that look off! ;) Love you guys to the moon and back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime, thank you so much for sharing this with everyone. It brought tears to my eyes. Jaidyn is a strong little girl and such an inspiration!

    As Jenner said, you've been amazing throug it all and Jaidyn seeing that from you and the family helps her through this.

    Love you both. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jai and Lyri!
    You two are in my prayers each and everyday! I love you and know that you both are inspiring each and everyone around you through all this! I for one am inspired and touched by your strength and graceful smiles you both share.
    Lyri: You are one beautiful bald gal! I'm loving the big flower head bands. I'll be making some and sending them your way! Your eyes shine and I know that God has a plan for you that we can't even imagine. Those lives that you come across will be (have) changed forver because of you. Always know that your Aunti B and Uncle Nae are here for you! We love you and love that you are kicking that "L" word's A@#!!! (That is in style of course!)
    Jai: You my friend (best) are doing such an amazing job and I want you to know that I'm just a facetime away! I love you and would love for you to call me anytime of day! Please know that I am praying for you and worry about you. I wish I could be closer, but that's just it I'm only 8 hrs away and I would be there if you needed me one a dime! I know you kmow your strong and doing the best you can, but you need to know that you are and I am here to vouch I've seen first hand that you are "Capital A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!!!"
    Love you both and too a Happy New Year!!!
    -Aunti "B" and Uncle Nae

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was so heartwarming! She is such a beautiful little girl with or without hair. If I knew I would look that good with my head shaved, I would do it tomorrow. Jamie, she is so gorgeous and courageous, you must be so proud of her. Love you both!

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts and prayers will be with you! I just went through a health issue with my daughter with lesions on her brain that turned out to be MS. They are always our sweet babies no matter how old they are my daughter is 20 I know the emotions involved and the heartache felt. God bless you and your family and may jayden continue to teach you what love and strength is all about like my daughter did for me.
    Sue Wadsworth

    ReplyDelete