Monday 30 January 2012

Part two of Phase two of Delayed Intensification

So I pretty much won an award for "Mom of the Year" on Jaidyn's second week of Delayed Intensification Part 2.


And I'm being completely sarcastic when I say that. 


Read further you'll find out why.


Day 1: Jan 26th


Today was the first day of the second week. It was scheduled to just be a quick visit with only the Ara-C administered. We were in a rush out the door (as usual) but made it to our appointment on time. Once we got there we had to wait a bit which was fine because it was Uncle Tay Tay's birthday today so we had to make him a card. So out the paints came and painted him a giant card.


Jaidyn's favourite volunteer was there today. Her name is Jackie, she is an older lady from Jamaica and she the sweetest thing I've ever met. She sits and plays with the kids, its amazing her patience. Jaidyn always talks about how Jackie came and read Jaidyn books when we were first admitted back in August. She read to Jaidyn for over an hour so I could go get some much needed food.


Today they played with the ambulance. Jaidyn told her all about her ride in the ambulance back in August.
Her Ara-C was given, she sucked back an entire bottle of grape juice and then we went home.


For those of you that aren't from around here, the hospital is about an hour drive from my house (dependant on traffic) and its all highway. So we were about half way home Jaidyn said "mommy I don't feel very good." Thinking that her tummy was hurting, which is a normal occurrence lately, I reassured her it was ok and we were almost home.


Ha, not the case.


Within seconds she was projectile vomiting all over the car, all over herself and all over her brand new car seat that was purchased YESTERDAY!


Panicking because we're on a major highway I pulled over to the shoulder, while she is still vomiting and it is not letting up. Thankfully, there was a blanket in the backseat that I was able to clean up as much as I could, as well as trying to comfort her. I couldn't figure out why she was throwing up like this. She has fortunately, never got sick from any of the drugs she has been given, so this was not something I wasn't  used to. And either was she.


Then it clicked. All last week she had the same drug but didn't get sick and there was a reason for that. She had been given Ondansatron, a powerful anti nausea medication. She takes that prior to getting her chemo.Normally if she doesn't take it orally before we get to the hospital, the nurses administer it by IV.


Except for this morning. "Mommy of the Year" over here, forgot to give it to her and I was paying for it by having to clean up grape flavoured vomit!


I felt horrible. I almost cried. This was my fault she was getting sick. It was the worst feeling.


We raced home and I carried her upstairs and put her right in the tub. In the time I walked from bathroom to laundry room I could hear her screaming from the tub. I ran back to the bathroom and she was vomiting again. Poor baby.


Once the disaster was cleaned up, I got her in bed and convinced her to let me give her the Ondansatron to make the vomiting stop. Funny enough the Ondansatron is grape flavoured and she knew that. Nothing like taking grape medicine after vomiting up grape juice for the last hour.


We managed, and she was fine after that.


Moral of the story?


Never forget Ondansatron.


Day 2: Friday Jan 27th


Along with Jaidyn's Ara-C she had a scheduled Kidney ultrasound to see if she might have a Kidney stone and that's what was causing the blood in her urine. Andrew had drove down that morning so he met us at the hospital.


Everything went smoothly with her ultrasound and we headed to the Oncology clinic for her chemo. And it is now evident to me that we watch too much TLC at home, since during the ultrasound she wanted to know if they were going to find a baby in her belly. :)


Her Ara- C was given and we went home. The Ondansatron was NOT forgotten today.


And of course we had a photo shoot with the bear outside the main entrance of the hospital.


Day 3 and 4: Saturday Jan 28th Sunday Jan 29th


These two days were uneventful, we went up to 3B got her Ara-C and that was that.


Sunday night we went to my parents house for dinner to celebrate my brother's birthday. Jaidyn had a blast and enjoyed putting the candles on the cake. Which was as you can see from the pictures a Family guy DQ ice cream cake. Jaidyn took one look at it and said "hey that's Stewie!" I love that my 3 year old knows who Stewie is. Thanks Taylor.


Blowing out candles is serious business
She loves her Tay Tay
pure excitement
Jaidyn and her Stewie cake
Isn't it so funny that when Andy comes down and nothing goes wrong. Its Murphy's Law or something like that. He leaves and she pukes, or gets admitted, has to be transfused, has a 10 hour chemo day at the clinic or gets a UTI. Why can't it just be smooth ALL the time?


Oh well. Even if he was here when something like that happened, its not like I wouldn't be there either. Even on days where he could take her in by himself, I find it very hard to stay home.


I guess it is what it is.  Such is life.


I'm just glad this part is over. So we don't have to drive to Vancouver almost every day for 2 weeks.


Next up is a follow up visit on Feb 2nd for possible transfusions of red blood cells or platelets. This is the time in treatment where Jaidyn's counts will drop significantly and she will most likely be admitted for neutropenia and fevers. We will see how it goes, take it easy and pray everything goes as it should.

2 comments:

  1. Stay strong Jaidyn!! Following your blog!! Keep your head up Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I wish i knew who you were!

    ReplyDelete