Sunday 18 September 2011

New Challenges

I think I speak for everyone involved by saying we all thought that after these steroids were over things would get significantly much easier.


This has not been the case.


Actually I take that back. In the sense that Jaidyn is defiantly feeling much better, her mood swings have subsided and her personality is finally coming back I am happy to announce she is that laughing, smiling, stubborn little girl again.


Hallelujah!


However we have now been met with a new set of challenges.


This at home pill form Chemo that has to be taken daily... The same one that mixed with peanut butter ended up all over mine, Jaidyn's and Brandi's hair. Yes,  6-MP you are our new enemy.


We tried apple sauce the next night. And again, ended up with apple sauce spit all over my face. Maybe Jelly? NOPE! I pretty much tried every sort of soft food it could be hidden in but nothing worked. And on top of it all she wont eat. Its been 4 days and she hasn't had anything to eat. Other than that pinch of shredded cheese she asked for before bed one night. So I was at a loss. Could she really have ate enough in the last month to keep her energy levels up and body functioning for 5 days of no food? And 3 days of wasted pills!


I freaked out and called the On Call Oncologist. After I told her what was going on I could hear her in the background consulting the other staff and heard words such as "maybe they should come in and be admitted and fit with an NG Tube (nasogastric intubation tube)"


I immediately panicked and thought to myself "I have to figure out how to get this medicine in her!" So I asked the doctor if I could just crush up the pill and put it in a syringe with some apple juice and squirt it down her throat? Since she had been taking medicine for the last month up to 6 syringes a day she probably wouldn't even notice.


So she told me to try that. And if that didn't work we would have to come in to the hospital the next day and somehow get this medicine in her. She wasn't worried about the lack of eating at this point. So that put me at ease. She'll eat when she's hungry I suppose.


I was determined to get this in her so that night my parents and I all made a big TA-DAH about her apple juice medicine, and with a slight struggle we got it in her.


That's about all that happened over the weekend other than we also dressed Hunter up in Jaidyn's clothes. That was pretty entertaining. For her anyway, Hunter may have felt differently.


We have a few more days till we have to go back into the hospital for another Lumbar Puncture. Hoping to get this medicine in her everyday so we don't have to go in for that NG tube. So, we'll see what tomorrow brings :)

No comments:

Post a Comment